Functional Medicine & Naturopathic Nutrition
At Feel Better Nutrition, we approach each person as an individual and consider their whole health picture.
Feel Better Nutrition incorporates the principles of Functional Medicine and Naturopathic Nutrition. They both promote that therapeutic protocols (how the client is supported) should address root causes rather than just symptoms.
Functional Medicine looks at the following physiological and biochemical processes as part of a client assessment and this is how we would assess you during your Feel Better Nutrition consultation:
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients and the health of the digestive tract
- How your body rids itself of toxins
- The support of hormones and neurotransmitters
- Optimizing the immune system function
- Inflammatory responses
- Structural integrity (e.g. cells, your skin, your bones, muscles and so on)
- Psychological and spiritual equilibrium (lifestyle, mind and mood)
- How you produce energy
Feel Better Nutrition supports the principles devised by the Institute of Functional Nutrition. These include:
- The fact that individuals are biochemically different and should be treated as such.
- The client or patient is more important than just focusing on the specific disease or health complaint they have (not treating them with a 'one size fits all' protocol).
- What makes up someone's health picture is a mixture of internal and external factors. For example, a person's location, the job they do or the negative effects of life they have experienced can all affect their health.
- Nutrition and health are 'holistic' and not viewed as isolated systems.
- By taking care of your organs and systems you are focusing on long term good health.
Naturopathic Nutrition has similar principles to Functional Medicine and also has its own unique statements:
- Work with the healing power of nature, trusting the body's inherent powers of recovery.
- Your therapist is also a teacher - educating people in the art of self-care and the steps they need to take to achieve optimal health.
- Food selection, preparation and eating is a healing art.
- A therapist should use the most natural, least toxic and invasive therapies first.
For more information on Functional Medicine, please visit www.functionalmedicine.org
For more information on Naturopathic Nutrition, please visit www.nna-uk.com/home/what-is-naturopathic-nutrition/